Southern California ARML
The Southern California ARML Team represents southern California for the American Regions Mathematics League. We provide coaching, host practices, and organize teams of mathematically gifted youth in order to prepare them for national ARML competition events. More generally, we strive to create a stimulating environment for learning mathematical concepts, and build a community for math students to connect with peers and mentors. Members of our organization must be residents of the following Southern California counties: Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, Kern, San Bernardino, and Riverside.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
Joining Southern California ARML
- The following individuals are eligible to be members of this organization: 1) intellectually talented school-age students (grades 6-12) who are interested in learning mathematical concepts and who are capable of acquiring sufficient knowledge to take part in the competition; 2) all parents and/or guardians of the students; and 3) educators who are involved in coaching the students.
- Membership in the organization is free. Families are expected to volunteer for snack donations for practice sessions.
- Regular practice sessions are held throughout the school year, on Saturdays, 1-4pm, in one of three locations: Areteem’s Headquarters in Irvine/Lake Forest, CSULB in Long Beach, and Beckman High School in Irvine.
- Practices for the 2023-24 school year are tentatively scheduled for: 9/23, 10/14, 11/18, 12/16, 1/13 (CSULB), 1/27 (CSULB), 3/16, 4/20, 5/18, and 5/25. Unless otherwise stated, practices are at Areteem’s Headquarters.
- Contest Dates – ARML Power Contest Round 1: 10/28, ARML Power Contest Round 2: 2/17, ARML Local: 4/20, ARML Regional: TBA.
- Students interested in joining SoCal ARML should start by filling out the application by clicking here.
Meet the Coaches and Administrators
Dr. Kevin Wang, Ph.D.
Dr. Olga Korosteleva, Ph.D.
Professor of Statistics
California State University Long Beach
Mr. Charles Beilin
Beckman High School
Parent Liason & Admin
Ms. Kelly Ren
Recent Teams and Results
SoCal ARML got 11th place in the 2022-2023 Power Contest out of 82 teams. In ARML local, we got 60th place out of 115 teams. In ARML regional at Reno, NV, we got 23rd place out of 59 teams.
SoCal ARML got the 25th place in the 2021-2022 Power Contest (out of 89 teams). In ARML local, we got something like 137th place (out of 370 teams). In ARML regional, Tiger Zhang got the 2nd place as an individual winner for off-site participants. Overall, we got 10th place in the offsite Division B ARML regional (out of 28 teams).
We got the 3rd place in the 2020-2021 Power Contest. One of our teams got the 7th place overall in ARML local competition. One of our teams got the 10th place overall in Division A in ARML regional, and another team got the 8th place overall in Division B in ARML regional.
SoCal ARML is run in remembrance of Professor Kent G. Merryfield (1953-2018), who founded the Southern California ARML in 2002 and had coached the students for 17 years.
Learn more about the pre-history (as accounted by its founder Dr. Kent Merryfield) and history from 2002-2019 (originally written by Dr. Kent Merryfield, and later edited and completed by Dr. Olga Korosteleva) in the links below.